I have spent more time at yard sales this year than in the rest of my life combined (not difficult to do, my family did not attend yard sales growing up). Although I admit readily that some of the items at yard sales may be “junk,” there are some real treasures found at them as well.
To highlight a few of our finds this year:
1. My top pick is the working Vita-Mix that I found for $1. We have one already (it is my favorite appliance, we use it every day) but if something ever happens to the one that I have, at least I will not have to shell out $449 for a new one or be without one while my other is being fixed.
2. Gabriel’s Peg Perego Santa Fe Express for $20. The lowest price that I have seen this for new is $200, and most people want over $100 for it on Craigslist, Ebay, etc. used, so we would not have one if had we not found it at a garage sale – and it is one of his favorite toys these days.
3. La-Z-Boy Reclina-Rocker (link is a similar example, not the exact chair we have) for $20. After using a wooden glider when Gabriel was a newborn that was super uncomfortable and hurt my back, this was on my “must have” list of things to acquire before the new baby arrives. Since such a chair costs approximately $500 or more new, however, it would have been entirely beyond our ability to make such a purchase this summer, was it not for finding a great used one.
4. Maytag Portable Dishwasher (link is a similar example, not the exact model we have) for $30. A dishwasher was an appliance that we needed terribly, but could not afford to buy new. I would prefer to have a built-in dishwasher due to space issues, but this dishwasher works wonderfully and saves us so much time over hand-washing everything – a real plus with little ones!
5. I also managed to compile a great wardrobe for Gabriel (and pick up many things for the new baby as well) that will last beyond when yard sale season starts again next year at a great price. Many people in my area sell excellent condition (often expensive brand name) children’s clothes for $0.25 or $0.50 a piece.