Posted by: Amanda | March 9, 2010

The Story of Joshua’s Birth – Part II

If you missed it, read Part I here.

October 12, 2009

3:30 p.m. – I settle into my birthing room. Although I had decided to get the heparin lock in case I ended up needing it (it may as well have been torture at the point I received it while laboring with Gabriel), my nurse tells me that I will not need it since I am nearly finished dilating. My nurse readies all of the new baby stuff at the station. I get excited – the baby is going to be here soon!

Not pertinent to the birth story, but my nurse dressed similarly to what I would call “old-fashioned nurse attire.” She was clad in a skirt and stockings, similar to what I recall seeing in Word War II movies.

3:45 p.m.* – J.R. comments on how much better I tolerate labor pain than everyday pain. It’s true, I complain more about day-to-day injuries. Giving birth is a natural process, however, with a real purpose/end in sight. I have a better mindset about it. My nurse seems impressed with how I am handling things as well. “Offering it up” probably makes things easier.

4:00 p.m. – My midwife arrives at the hospital, having left the office early for the day since it seemed that I may give birth at any minute.

My labor really isn’t that bad at this point. Even though I needed to use the restroom constantly, and it took concentration/management techniques during contractions, it did not bother me that J.R. was playing on his PDA/the internet during this time. Note: I told him that it was fine to do this, so do not be upset about him not being there for me.

4:30 p.m. – Assorted hospital personnel find the time to actually check me with all of the normal pre-birthing stuff: identification bracelets, blood draws, and the like.

5:00 p.m. – My midwife checks my progress. I am at nine still. We discuss breaking my water. Since my laboring mind is unable to make coherent decisions, and my midwife is non-committal either way, I opt not to.

5:30 p.m. – My midwife tells me that my contractions are not as close together as they should be, and that I should “be uncomfortable during them.” I shrug her comment off, different people have different pain tolerance…and it’s not like I am actually comfortable.

6:30 p.m. – I ask my midwife to break my water. I still have not progressed much beyond nine. I am getting tired – shouldn’t the baby have arrived by now?

6:40 p.m.* – My mother arrives at the hospital, bringing a lovely dinner that I wish I could have eaten that night. She is shocked to learn that the baby hasn’t been born yet.

7:00 p.m.-8:30 p.m. or so – My midwife convinces me to try different positions. Although most of them involve lying down (this seems to go against what I know in terms of Bradley/other natural birth resources), I try them anyway.

Up until around this time, I had spent most of my labor either standing, leaning over the bed, or on the birthing ball. Lying down was definitely less “comfortable,” but it didn’t really help my labor progress either.

9:00 p.m.* – I can tell that my midwife is getting impatient/frustrated/tired. I end up getting an IV, again at a terrible time during labor. I am dilated to 9.5ish at this time.

Sometime around 9:30 p.m.-10:00 p.m. – I decide to try pushing. Maybe it will help with the final tiny bit of dilation.  The baby is at 0 station.

* Some of the times listed are to show an approximate time frame only, as I was not live blogging the labor and birth.



  1. […] Part I and Part II if you missed […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: