On Friday, Gabriel turned five years old. My first reaction was to wonder where these last five years went, but then I remembered that he’s grown from a tiny newborn into the boy he is today.
At five, Gabriel:
- Continues to enjoy dinosaurs.
- Never tires of riding his bike.
- Enjoys swimming.
- Asks when our next vacation/travel will be.
- Is surprisingly good at puzzles/games.
- Is mysteriously tired when it’s time to do chores, yet rarely tired at bedtime.
- Insists on hugging his father before he leaves for work, and then waving to him through the window.
- Loves his little brother, who is his best friend.
- Wants to do as he is told, and will even remind others that “we are supposed to do ____, not ____.”
- Is interested in everything.
We had a little birthday party for him on Sunday, and made a dinosaur cake of his choosing (it’s a diplodocus):
We spent a large portion of the past year listening to Gabriel cry about how he didn’t want to get older, but now that five is here, we are all in agreement: it is a wonderful age. Both to be, and to enjoy again with our son.